Articles on this Page
- 12/18/13--14:12: _Give The Gift of Gl...
- 12/21/13--03:30: _Spread the Holiday ...
- 12/22/13--02:00: _Happy Holidays, 节日快...
- 12/23/13--04:00: _Things That Remind ...
- 11/21/13--04:00: _K-Pop Idols Yoona a...
- 12/27/13--02:30: _EXCLUSIVE: New Year...
- 12/27/13--16:03: _EXCLUSIVE: U.S. ‘Bo...
- 12/29/13--03:00: _Christmas with Lunafly
- 12/30/13--03:00: _9 New Year's Resolu...
- 01/02/14--15:35: _Officially Dating: ...
- 01/03/14--04:00: _The Results Are In!...
- 01/04/14--03:30: _10 Signs You’re a D...
- 01/06/14--17:21: _Get a Signed Polaro...
- 01/08/14--10:00: _Who Wore it Better?...
- 01/11/14--03:30: _Rich Bad Boys We Lo...
- 01/12/14--03:30: _Fashion, Dating and...
- 01/13/14--09:30: _5 Reasons to Watch ...
- 01/14/14--13:35: _Lunafly Caption Con...
- 01/10/14--14:51: _グローバルテレビを日本に！英語の力を磨こう！
- 01/15/14--07:17: _Can You Guess the R...
- 12/18/13--14:12: Give The Gift of Global TV with Viki Pass!
- 12/21/13--03:30: Spread the Holiday Cheer with these Memes!
- 12/22/13--02:00: Happy Holidays, 节日快乐, &καλές διακοπές!
- 12/23/13--04:00: Things That Remind us of Christmas
- 11/21/13--04:00: K-Pop Idols Yoona and IU Star in New Dramas
- 12/27/13--02:30: EXCLUSIVE: New Year’s Eve LIVE Concert in Taipei
- 12/27/13--16:03: EXCLUSIVE: U.S. ‘Boys Over Flowers’ First Episode Released
- 12/29/13--03:00: Christmas with Lunafly
- 12/30/13--03:00: 9 New Year's Resolutions for K-Drama Fans
- 01/02/14--15:35: Officially Dating: Yoona and Lee Seung Gi!
- 01/03/14--04:00: The Results Are In! Viki Fan Favorites 2013
- 01/04/14--03:30: 10 Signs You’re a Drama Addict
- 01/06/14--17:21: Get a Signed Polaroid From Lunafly!
- 01/08/14--10:00: Who Wore it Better? ‘Boys Over Flowers’ Hairstyles
- 01/11/14--03:30: Rich Bad Boys We Love to Hate in Dramas
- 01/12/14--03:30: Fashion, Dating and Friendship in New Chinese Dramas
- 01/13/14--09:30: 5 Reasons to Watch ‘Inspiring Generation’ on Viki
- 01/14/14--13:35: Lunafly Caption Contest Winners!
- 01/10/14--14:51: グローバルテレビを日本に！英語の力を磨こう！
- 01/15/14--07:17: Can You Guess the Real Lee Min Ho?
The holidays. Sure, we love family, friends, and food. But who doesn't love getting and giving gifts even more? Don't sit back and accept that ugly snowman sweater as an inevitable reality! Give and request what you and your friends really want this year.
Just in time for the holidays, you can purchase Viki Pass, the gift of global TV. Watch Viki in HD, without ads, with exclusive content and in convenient 3-month, 6-month, or 1 year upgrade options -- all redeemable with a code by email. The more months you buy, the bigger the savings (woot!).
Make the fangirl or fanboy in your life happy this holiday season. Or share this link with parents, friends or Santa to give them the not-so-subtle hint. ;)
What do you want this holiday season? We loved So Ji Sub in "Master's Sun."
If you're going to ask Santa for something under the tree, you might as well dream big, right? While you wait for your favorite stars to be wrapped up, watch them in some of their best roles like Lee Min Ho in "Heirs," Mario Maurer in "To Each a Flower," Jang Geun Suk in "Beautiful Man," and Kim Soo Hyun in "The Moon Embracing the Sun."
Happy Holidays from all of us at Viki! And don't forget to tell us which shows you're watching this holiday season.
From all of us at Viki, to our amazing community all over the world, we wish you Happy Holidays and a joyous New Year!
Also, special shout-out to the below Viki community members who contributed to our Happy Holidays e-card. What other languages are we missing? Share yours in the comments here or on on Facebook and Twitter!
In the spirit of Christmas, here are some of the things that fondly remind us of the holiday season!
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
The tale of Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer is a classic Christmas story. Relive your childhood memories with this Christmas tale of an underdog who helps light the way for Santa's sleigh.
|Rudolph is one of our favorite Christmas stories of all time.|
What would Christmas be without this white-bearded jolly old man sliding down chimneys and stuffing presents in everyone's Christmas stockings? See Santa in action in the animated cartoon.
|Santa Claus rides around the world in his sleigh in this classic cartoon.|
One of the best parts of this joyous season is a home-cooked holiday feast.Let's Eatis a Korean drama made especially to get your mouth watering. It's all about eating, and features B2ST's handsome leader Doojoon as a food-loving playboy.
That Winter, The Wind Blows
In My Love From the Star, Kim Soo Hyun plays a 400-year-old alien from the Joseon era, who falls in love with a top actress. We can enjoy sweeping views of the Korean landscape in all different seasons.
|Kim Soo Hyun's immortal character plays over 10 different roles in Episode 1 alone.|
This winter, K-pop idols are taking lead roles in several anticipated new dramas. IU, known as the “Nation’s Little Sister” in Korea, will star in “Beautiful Man.” Yoona from Girls’ Generation will play a spunky reporter in “Prime Minister and I.”
IU’s character in “Beautiful Man” is a very ordinary girl named Kim Bo Tong. In addition to being a strange-sounding girl’s name, “Bo Tong” literally means “average” in Korean! IU has acted in past dramas such as “Dream High,” and we’re excited to see her take on another cute, underdog role alongside the beautiful man himself, Jang Geun Suk.
|IU plays average schoolgirl Kim Bo Tong in ‘Beautiful Man’|
|Yoona is a courageous reporter in ‘Prime Minister and I’|
“Miss Korea” stars the beautiful Lee Yeon Hee and premieres on December 18. The lovely actress is not a K-pop idol, but here’s a fun fact: Lee Yeon Hee was an S.M. trainee who almost debuted as part of Girls’ Generation! She chose to pursue her acting career instead.
Which K-pop singer are you looking forward to seeing on Viki this winter? Let us know!
Want to be a part of the first ever LIVE concert on Viki? We’re preparing for one of the biggest New Year’s Eve events in the world — the 2014 Taipei 101 New Year’s Eve Countdown — featuring performances by top Taiwanese Pop stars such as Rainie Yang, Wilber Pan, David Tao, and S.H.E.!
You can watch the episode for yourself below. But first, check out our review, which points out a few of the most noticeable differences you'll see between the U.S. and Asian drama versions.
Grown Ups and Graduate School
|The attractive, multicultural cast of ‘Boys Before Friends.’|
If you’re a K-drama fan, you might just be able to relate to my New Year’s resolutions. Here are my resolutions for the upcoming year.
I started this resolution early. With all the great on-air dramas out lately, I’ve resolved to keep up-to-date with “Let’s Eat,” “The Prime Minister Is Dating,” “Miss Korea,” and “My Love From the Star.” Wish me luck!
3. Eat Better
Don’t be afraid to enjoy your food, just like Lee Min Ho does in the following episode of “City Hunter.”
|Check out our recipe for jja jang myun, or black bean noodles, here!|
4. Travel More
I can’t wait to visit Jeju Island, where countless K-drama scenes have been filmed.
|Ha Ni and Seung Jo play around on their honeymoon in ‘Playful Kiss.’|
|Yi Jung and Ga Eul meet for a chat in ‘Boys Over Flowers.’|
5. Be Thankful for Loved Ones
Excuse me while I replay this scene of Kim Soo Hyun in “My Love From the Star” as inspiration to go to the gym.
|Just look at Aaron Yan in ‘Just You’ — how cute is he?|
8. Try a New Look
9. Watch the Live Stream of the Taipei 101 New Year's Eve Countdown
I'm going to ring in the new year with one of the biggest countdown events in the world! I'm talking about the Taipei 101 New Year's Eve Countdown, a LIVE concert featuring top Taiwanese pop stars such as Rainie Yang, Wilber Pan, David Yao, S.H.E, and Puff Guo from Dream Girls and the drama "Just You."
You can watch the live stream on our Taipei Countdown YouTube Channel on December 31st. If you miss the live event, you can watch the show after the fact on our Viki Channel. Check out our blog post for more details!
So what did you think? Can you relate to my New Year's resolutions? Tell us what you would add to this list!
|Yoona of Girls’ Generation and actor Lee Seung Gi are dating!|
The results are finally in! You voted in our Viki Fan Favorites 2013 poll and told us about your favorite shows of the year. Without further ado, we bring you the winners of the Viki Fan Favorites for 2013:
(2nd place: Choi Ji Woo in The Suspicious Housemaid)
Favorite Action Drama: Gu Family Book
(2nd place:Two Weeks)
Favorite Romantic Comedy: Master’s Sun
(2nd place:Flower Boy Next Door)
Favorite Couple: Park Shin Hye and Lee Min Ho in Heirs
(2nd place: Gong Hyo Jin and So Ji Sub in Master’s Sun)
|Park Shin Hye and Lee Min Ho are your Favorite Couple for 2013.|
(2nd place:Love Around)
|Aaron Yan's drama intrigued fans|
Favorite Korean Drama: Heirs
(2nd place:Master’s Sun)
|Heirs was your favorite drama this year|
Just like Mary in “Marry Me, Mary!” we stayed up all night watching almost an entire season of a drama. Guilty, and not even sorry.
Just like Lee Min Ho in “Heirs,” you’re sad and tired — except you don’t have a pretty cry.
So many feels. No I’m fine, I just need a moment.
When a character dies — you’ve been known to not leave your house for days. OMG, do we have to bring up “King 2 Hearts” Episode 19?
How to Enter:
1. Add text to the photo above to create a funny imaginary scene starring Lunafly
2. Post your captioned image on Twitter or Instagram
3. Make sure to include @Viki and your Viki username in your Tweet or Instagram post (you must be following us on Twitter & Instagram)
Three lucky winners will receive an autographed polaroid from Lunafly and a Viki T-shirt. The winners will be contacted via private message on Viki on Monday, January 13. Happy captioning!!
For fans of the wildly successful Korean drama “Boys Over Flowers,” there is no feature more iconic than Gu Jun Pyo’s curly, permed hair. And Ji Hoo’s flowing red locks are a close second. But what’s so important about the hairstyle in the making of international versions of the show?
These hairstyles, some of which are adopted from the original Japanese manga, tell us a story about the characters and match their personalities. Gu Jun Pyo’s curly, almost over-styled hair is a sign of his wealth and rebellious nature. Ji Hoo’s straight, lighter hair adds to his peaceful, angelic presence.
|Check out all of the cast members and decide which hairstyle you like best!|
Shorter hairstyles in the American version probably point to a cultural difference between what is fashionable for young men in the United States and in Asia, as well as the fashion of the year each show was filmed.
What do you think of the American F4’s hair and fashion compared to the characters from Asia? Let us know!
|Lee Min Ho and Joseph Almani show off their hairstyles for BBF|
Nothing says Asian drama like a romance between a rich leading man and a poor innocent girl. The wealthy leading men are inevitably cold, bad-boy types, but we’re always won over by their bad-boy charm!
Dae Woong in ‘My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho’
Dae Woong (played by Lee Seung Gi) is a spoiled, aimless young man who dreams of becoming an action movie star. But he accidentally releases a legendary gumiho (mythical nine-tailed fox) who helps to set him on the right path.
|Dae Woong killed us with his cuteness, too|
Joo Won in ‘Secret Garden’
Joo Won (played by Hyun Bin) is an arrogant, conceited CEO who mistakes a struggling stuntwoman for a famous actress. The snobby businessman tries to forget about his gaffe, but he cannot get the feisty Ra Im (played by Ha Ji Won) out of his mind — and eventually out of his body!
Joon Pyo in ‘Boys Over Flowers’
Yes, Joon Pyo (played by Lee Min Ho) is handsome and rich, but he also is an arrogant jerk. He torments Jan Di (played by Goo Hye Sun) when she stands up to his bullying, but in the end falls for her instead. Despite his possessive, jealous ways, Joon Pyo wins Jan Di’s heart — and ours, too!
Yang Tai in ‘Princess’ Stand In’
In this Taiwanese drama, Yang Tai (played by Chris Wu) is a rich perfectionist who loses his fiancé in an accident. He pays for Da Hua’s (played by Nikki Hsieh) plastic surgery to make her resemble his lost love just to further his career. But who can resist the bad boy’s dashing good looks?
|Yang Tai’s good looks won us over in Princess’ Stand In|
|Don't mind me, I'm just over here being handsome|
Crown Prince Lee Shin in ‘Goong (aka Princess Hour)’
As the Crown Prince of South Korea’s fictional monarchy, Lee Shin (played by Joo Ji Hoon) is maybe the richest guy on this list. But he isn’t just royal, he is a royal jerk. When his girlfriend rejects his proposal, we don’t blame her. We’d say “NO” to his smug face, too — Prince or no Prince. Forced to pursue an arranged marriage to Shin Chae Kyeong (played by Yoon Eun Hye), the Crown Prince is annoyed by her positive enthusiasm. But he soon falls in love with her sweetness, and we learn he is actually a big softy deep down inside (he owns a teddy bear!)
|The Crown Prince is tough on the outside but soft on the inside|
Who knew being bad could look so good? Who is your favorite rich bad boy? Let us know!
|Julie (left) and Xiao Chun (right)|
Xiao Chun from “Sex in the City”longs to find a boyfriend through blind dates, but she is an intense germaphobe who scares off potential guys.
|Kasey (left) and Soso (right)|
Soso from “Sex in the City”is the kind of woman who seems to get everything without trying. She radiates sex appeal and can get any man she wants wrapped around her elegant, manicured fingers.
|Bi Ran (left) and Ka Si (right)|
Ka Si from “Sex in the City”keeps up a poker face towards any strangers she meets, but beneath that façade is an unexpectedly wild woman who desperately wants to find love.
|Qing Xia (left) and Sha Jing (right)|
Sha Jing from “Sex in the City”is a designer handbag addict who wants to start a business so her grandmother can move in with her. No dedication is as endearing like dedication to family!
The hottest new K-drama of 2014 is fast approaching: “Inspiring Generation,” starring Kim Hyun Joong, which will premiere on January 15. We could not be more excited! Here are our top five reasons you should check out this upcoming Korean drama.
1. Global Premiere — The show is available WORLDWIDE, and viewers in the Americas and Europe can enjoy the show exclusively on the Viki website and mobile apps.
|‘Inspiring Generation’ is available worldwide on Viki.|
2. Anticipated Comeback — This will be Kim Hyun Joong’s first TV drama since “Playful Kiss” in 2010. We look forward to seeing how both his appearance and acting style have matured in this month’s premiere. Watch the behind-the-scenes showcase and press conference below, where the actors share their excitement.
3. Strong Support — Have you seen the supporting cast? Song Jae Rim is a model-turned-actor with previous roles in “Two Weeks,” “Nail Shop Paris” and “The Moon Embracing the Sun.” Kim Jae Wook most recently played a ghost in “Who Are You?” Finally, you may remember Kwak Dong Yeon from “Jang Ok Jeong, Lives in Love.” He will play the younger version of Kim Hyun Joong’s character. These talented, eye-catching actors should not be missed.
|The supporting cast includes Song Jae Rim, Kim Jae Wook and Kwak Dong Yeon.|
4. Historical Intrigue — “Inspiring Generation” is a big budget, action-packed drama taking place in 1930s Shanghai, China. We can expect to see film-scale cinematography, impressive set design, and feel the bustling excitement of one of Asia’s first multicultural cities. Watch the trailer to get a taste.
5. Delightful Fashion — Like “Bridal Mask” and “Basketball,” “Inspiring Generation” will feature a variety of colorful, intricate period costumes. The 1930s were a culturally transitional period, so characters may be seen wearing everything from traditional Japanese kimonos to Western leather jackets.
|The cast of ‘Inspiring Generation,’ dressed in 1930s period costumes.|
Last week, we asked Viki community members and Lunafly fans to fill in the speech bubbles on a photo of the boys at their recent showcase, “Christmas With Lunafly in Singapore,” to create the best imaginary scene possible. We received many funny and creative entries, so it was difficult to choose just three fans to award a signed Lunafly polaroid and a Viki T-shirt. But we had to make the tough choices anyway! Thank you all for participating!
Aren’t these captions clever?? Remember to follow Viki on Twitter, Facebook and our blog to find out about other exclusive contests related to your favorite artists and shows! And congratulations again to our three lucky winners!
The famous wax museum Madame Tussauds in Hong Kong has just unveiled its wax figure of Lee Min Ho. Lee Min Ho is the second Korean celebrity to have a wax figure in the Hong Kong museum.
Lee Min Ho began his acting career in 2006 and shot to fame playing the infamous rich bad boy Gu Jun Pyo in the 2009 Korean drama “Boys Over Flowers.” He showed his action skills in the drama “City Hunter” (2011) and his bravery as a tough warrior in “The Great Doctor (Faith)” (2012). The actor most recently starred in “Heirs” (2013), and his role as Kim Tan in the series garnered many drama awards. Lee Min Ho is now considered one of the hottest Asian actors and models working today, despite being only 26 years old.
So, fans, can you tell which Lee Min Ho above is real and which is wax? Leave your answer as a comment below!